Patch for configure.in for SCO OpenServer 5.0.X and UnixWare 7.1.0

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 3 15:24:52 UTC 1999

Thanks for the explanation; I much appreciate it.  Since I don't have
access to an SCO system, it's hard for me to understand exactly what's
going wrong and what steps are needed to fix it.

Boyd Lynn Gerber (801) 250-O795 Work <gerberb at zenez.com> writes:
> On 3 Sep 1999, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> First of all, what problem is it that you're trying to solve here?  You
>> didn't give any information in either your message or in comments in
>> the patch, and the patch itself is scant on details.

> I created this patch because configure was not getting the right
> compiler and linker flags.  It also was not setting the syslog
> correctly.

Yeah, the syslog problem has been a known bug.

> There are many versions of compilers for SCO (OpenServer and UnixWare).
> The configure scripts were not working.  You could get you do not have a
> working compiler or it would generate the wrong code.

Only for the case of a shared library build, or for any build?

> On OpenServer 5.0.X the -belf flag is needed to get elf code generated.
> You can not build shared libs with out elf code on SCO.

INN currently has two fairly separate build processes, one when shared
libraries are desired and one when they aren't.  The process for adding
flags to the compiler for generating shared libraries should be handled
entirely by libtool.  If the flags aren't necessary for the static case,
I'd rather not add them to configure, only to the libtool-specific
portions of the build process.  When building INN statically, libtool is
not used (unless it's specifically requested).

The common case for building INN is to build it static; libtool
compilation isn't enabled by default and has various other problems.

> Also with UnixWare 7.1.0 there is not alloca function with out the
> -Kalloca.

I don't *think* INN currently uses alloca(), but I could be mistaken.

> Also to use threads with UnixWare 7.1.0 you have to use the native
> compiler.

That's good to know, although INN doesn't currently use threads.

> The problem is I have seen a different version of config.guess and
> config.sub on every program that uses autoconf.  I am sick and tired of
> trying to get these to all be the same.  I only want to fix the broken
> stuff with SCO OpenServer and UnixWare.

The master source for config.guess and config.sub is autoconf, and the
reason why they're different with every package is due to the fact that
most packages pull them from whatever version of autoconf they're using
when they first start using autoconf and never update them.  The best way
to get this fixed is to send your patches to the autoconf maintainer (mail
autoconf at gnu.org to reach the right mailing list) and then ask each
package that you run into that gets this wrong to update to config.guess
and config.sub as of autoconf version X.  That will encourage those
packages to also update their support for all of the other odd platforms
that config.guess and config.sub support.

I'm going to look at updating those for INN before the 2.3 release,
hopefully.

Anyway, your code has been committed; I just wanted to understand what it
did, since I think there are likely better solutions for long-term
maintainability.