mmap() on HP-UX

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 9 02:58:16 UTC 1999

From: Joe Nall <joe at nall.com>
Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.builds
Subject: Re: reg.c Assertion Failure
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:14:12 -0500

James Lewis Nance wrote:

> about, and I know the HP-UX mmap() is awful.  I just reread the HP-UX
> man page and it does not guarantee that data write()en to a file is
> reflected in the memory map of the file.  Linux and Solaris do make this
> guarantee.  I suspect this is what is breaking mozilla.  HP-UX also has
> some problems mapping a single file multiple times.

msync(addr, len, MS_SYNC) is your friend on the HP.  msync() after
update gives you the behavior you're looking for.  If the application
reads more than it writes, a mmaped io solution on the HP can still be a
winner.  HP-UX definitely has some issues mmaping overlapping sections
of a file - but the code did not look like it was doing that.

Joe Nall