INN2.3, buffindexed...and nn?

The Hermit Hacker scrappy at hub.org
Thu Sep 9 16:31:21 UTC 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9909091102430.54336-100000 at thelab.hub.org>,
> 	The Hermit Hacker <scrappy at hub.org> wrote;
>
> } 	Notice the two acadia.comp.* groups that say "0"?  The
> } acadia.comp.unix one, at least, should have showed me one artile (number
> } 176), which I can get at using a simple telnet session:
> :
> } I'm doubting its an INN related issue, but figured I'd be safe trying to
> } hit both sides, just in case its something I may be overlooking...but it
> } *seems* like its a 'if count > 1, provide index' sort of issue, where it
> } should be 'if count >= 1, provide index'...but I just want to make sure...
>
> That message just says that you've issued 'group news_group'
> but you didn't retrieve any article until next 'group ...'.

I always hate to embaress myself, but you've totally lost me here :(

As a quick followup, I just tested the 'reduce pointer by one in .newsrc'
test on an older INN 2.3-CURRENT installation, that is still using
tradindexed, and...it doesn't lose the article.

Using the same nn 6.5.3 client, from the same machine, I'm connecting:

a) to a Solaris 7/x86 machine, running INN 2.3-CURRENT as of yesterday
with buffindexed.  If I modify my .newsrc file and reduce the 'end
pointer' for news.software.nn by one and start nn, it exits telling me
there is no news, and advances the pointer by one.

b) to a FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT machine, running INN 2.3-CURRENT from *around*
July 15th, using tradindexed.  Same modification as above, and I get the
last article...

so, either its a Solaris 7/x86 related bug...or there is a bug in
buffindexed...?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scrappy at hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org