max-connections in incoming.conf

The Hermit Hacker scrappy at hub.org
Mon Sep 13 13:51:56 UTC 1999

On 13 Sep 1999, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at nec.co.jp> writes:
>
> > I think so, but that part of the code was written by Marc, and he said,
> > if I remember correctly, his peer tries to connect quickly after the
> > disconnect and he wanted to hold a while not to reconnect again.
>
> If that's the problem, then we should probably hold on to the connection
> for a little bit prior to printing the initial banner, then print the
> banner with a too many connections error and close the connection.  I
> don't think that's what we currently do, right?  Or am I just confused?
>
> Currently, I've had peers that I'm pretty sure would understand an error
> greeting and a close instead open five or six connections past their limit
> and then keep thrashing them when they don't get any article throughput on
> them.

Alot of the other servers print out an 'Exceeded max connections' error
message...the problem, as I see it, is that if you print itout and drop
connection, until the admin on the other end intervenes, its going to
doing it near-to-continuously, which is using up cycles for 'make
connection, send error, drop connection, go to start' that could be better
used for processing real news...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scrappy at hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org