max-connections in incoming.conf

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 13 13:55:12 UTC 1999

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy at hub.org> writes:

> Alot of the other servers print out an 'Exceeded max connections' error
> message...the problem, as I see it, is that if you print itout and drop
> connection, until the admin on the other end intervenes, its going to
> doing it near-to-continuously, which is using up cycles for 'make
> connection, send error, drop connection, go to start' that could be
> better used for processing real news...

Yeah, that's why you put the connection in limbo for a few seconds before
you print the banner and close it.  I don't know how hard it would be to
integrate that into INN's current connection handling, though.

The "delay before error" approach is used in Postfix and seems to be
fairly successful at stopping the fast-retry problem.