msg-id generation

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 21 15:45:30 UTC 1999

Tom Kacvinsky <tjk at ams.org> writes:

> The msg-ids generated use sun06.ams.org.  I want news.ams.org there.  I
> fail to see how this is a "bad idea" in the case of a single news server
> for a domain.  In the case of several news servers for a single domain,
> I can see how using pathhost to generate the msg-id is a bad thing, in
> the case each news server uses the same pathhost (or fromhost).  Or did
> I misinterpret what you wrote?

Sorry, we've gotten distracted by discussing how to solve this problem in
general.  :)  For your immediate needs, I'd just modify lib/genid.c and
recompile; pathhost or something would be reasonable.  I'd like to provide
people with a way of doing what you want to do that doesn't require
modifying the code, though, which is what we're trying to figure out.