inn-2.2 / storageapi + wireformat == corruption

greg andruk meowing at banet.net
Mon Sep 27 00:26:37 UTC 1999

In nnmh:inn-workers, Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at nec.co.jp> wrote:

> In article <ylwvtebl0i.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>,
> 	Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote;

> } The MIME weirdness is deeply frightening.  Does anyone know the history
> } behind -M?  USEFOR says thou shalt not do that (change the encoding of a
> } message in transit), and I really don't understand when that would be
> } useful.

> I've seen who wrote that code, but I can't remember.

It was done by Christophe Wolfhugel for INN 1.3.

> I think we can drop it, since that code was incorporated when MIME
> standard was not completed and most of MUA (including news reader)
> could not handle any MIME message.

Yes, all the readers in common use today seem to support it, and the
way it defaults unmarked messages is decidedly icky.  Also, only
innxmit actually implements it; there's a note in the old install docs
that it was supposed to be moved out to batcher etc. but it looks like
that was never done.