inn-2.2 / storageapi + wireformat == corruption

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 27 03:24:58 UTC 1999

Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at nec.co.jp> writes:

> Why don't we use SMretreive() instead of QIO(3) to read article.
> Current QIO can be used for both wire formatted and non.  This is
> because 2.2 handles traditional.  Now it's gone and we can read thru
> SMretrieve().  And QIO should be reverted to lib/qio.c and does not need
> to consider wireformat.

This sounds fine to me, but I think the issue may remain; what does
SMretrieve() do with wire format articles?  I'm betting it does the same
thing that QIO now does, in which case we still need to consider whether
that's the right thing.

We're already doing a complete article copy in ARTclean(); we *could*
patch up bare newlines there if we wanted to without a lot of additional
pain or speed hit.