Cleaning up INN2.2.2 due to duplicate messages?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 4 22:59:18 UTC 2000

Edwin <edwin.yau at rdel.co.uk> writes:

> I reduced the size of one of my CNFS buffers last night as I ran out of
> disk space (expiry wasn't working).  This has left me with a problem in
> that I now have lots of expired messages and I'm getting error messages
> like:

> Apr  3 22:04:12 mailsvr nnrpd[8960]: ntwn0134.rrds.co.uk cant find end
> of line 88427614 Permission denied

> I ran a 'makehistory -b' command but do I need to run a makeactive as
> well?  What is the correct procedure to clean up the active and history
> files?

I don't think makeactive will help.  I'm surprised somewhat that
makehistory -b didn't clean everything up, but I'm not sure what the
implications of shrinking a CNFS buffer are.  But the active file cleanup
will be handled by nightly expire when it detects that articles are no
longer present.  (Is expiry working now?)