problemduring posting to moderated groups

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 5 01:40:09 UTC 2000

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> Yea it appears to be harder to track down ...
> Isn't there a way to set up nnrpd as standalone???

Yes, you can run it as a daemon by using the -D flag, and then truss with
the -f flag to follow forks will work.  Note that you can't do this if
innd is also running and binding to the same port, though.

> Here is the MTA line from inn.conf (copy and paste)
> mta:                    /l/S/05/inn/lbin/sendmail -oi %s

> The path specified is to a symbolic link that points to the
> actual sendmail binary.  Don't know if that is relevant.

Shouldn't be.

> Also the Sender: line as a correctly formated but non existant email
> address in it.  Could that cause a problem???

I'm honestly not sure what all checks sendmail may perform; if you try to
inject the same message by hand using the same sendmail line as the above,
including the Sender header with the nonexistent e-mail address, does
sendmail exit with a nonzero status?  (echo $? after running the command
will give you the status.)