What is PERMgeneric?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 10 09:43:08 UTC 2000

Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeo at merle.acns.nwu.edu> writes:

> Can someone explain to me what the purpose is/was of the PERMgeneric()
> function in nnrpd/commands.c? It looks like an attempt at a generic
> authentication callout, but it isn't referenced anywhere else in the
> source.

It's a very old generic callout mechanism that still works, but that
almost no one uses.  Basically, if you give nnrpd a command like:

        AUTHINFO GENERIC authenticator some arguments

then it will look for a program named authenticator in
pathbin/auth/generic and if one is found will run it, passing it the
arguments, and then determine access based on its results.