Inn for novices

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 12 02:38:29 UTC 2000

E Schmidtmann <doc.ernst at ulcus.owl.de> writes:

> Hi Ladies and gentlemen,

> as a novice to INN I have a little problem...

> As far as I have understood the UUCP feed, rnews executes news in a batch
> (compressed) profile in ./incomming.feed.

> Now the work of rnews to invoke compress -d to decompress the batches
> seems to fail. No error message...

I know very little about how INN works with UUCP feeds, having never done
UUCP, so I'm not sure how much help I can be, but here are a few things to
check.  First, what's the first line of the compressed batch?  rnews uses
that to determine what it can do with it.  Second, does rnews otherwise
work; if you create a complete news article and feed it to rnews on stdin,
does rnews successfully post it to the server?

Try <http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Elena.Samsonova/unix/INN/v2.3/>.