Update version converters needed

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Apr 12 16:34:16 UTC 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Brian Kantor wrote:

> >> No, it isn't.
> >Well the above should be implemented before INN 2.3 is released.
>
> I'm inclined to ask why.  Do you believe that there is some great improvement
> in efficiency, portability, or maintainability of the existing program to be
> gained thereby?

Start by noting that I don't want any major new thing in 2.3! But I do
expect that you would have a large increase in capacity and performance
with kernel threading in innd, because the current implementation just
doesn't scale. You can have up to a maximum of one processor doing all the
work, and that may cut it based on average load over the whole day, but it
sure does produce "clipping on the peaks" at various times.

I wouldn't rock the boat on 2.3 for anything, but I would like to see this
early in 2.4. Now that dual CPU Intel platforms are as cheap as door
prizes, anything which would speed transit servers is welcome.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc