Overview expiration

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Wed Apr 12 21:17:12 UTC 2000

Using CURRENT snapshot from 2000-04-02. The spool is mostly timecaf
(with a CNFS buffer for control.cancel and news.admin.lists etc.),
tradindexed overview. I'm using a program which frees disk space as
needed by just removing the oldest CAF buffers (thdexpire, available
on <URL:http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/sw/>).

It seems that overview entries for deleted articles don't get expired
properly. I remember that I had to patch expire in earlier releases to
do this, but the code was reorganized since and I don't understand
completely how it works today. :-)

The core of the matter is that expire/expireover(?) has to check for
expired articles on self-expiring storage methods, but for my setup it
has to check always. I still maintain the latter is correct because
articles may get lost even accidentally, and this should not lead to
an inconsistent overview. At least there should be a flag to activate
such a mode.

I was running without groupbaseexpiry in the past, now switched to
groupbaseexpiry to see if it makes any difference. Any definitive word
on this?

Olaf