Error in makehistory man page

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 30 09:24:10 UTC 2000

Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at nec.co.jp> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote;

>> By "done internally," you mean to have makehistory always have the -u
>> behavior if there's an existing history file and have people remove the
>> existing history file if they really want a complete rebuild?  Or do
>> you mean something else?

> Ouch, I should have looked into the code more carefully.  That was my
> over thought.  Sorry for confusing.  But I'd say -u should not be used
> for buffindexed, since it just appends index/data and this means
> occupied buffer will grow to over double size until next expireover.  As
> to tradindexed, data (not index) is also appended and the same problem
> occurs.

Yeah, definitely we shouldn't let people use -u when it will cause these
sorts of problems.  It might be worth trying to fix these for 2.4 though,
perhaps just rebuilding the overview for an entire group if there were any
missing articles in that group (if that would work better for buffindexed;
I'm not familiar with exactly how it works).