Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) compliancy?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 11 20:46:37 UTC 2000

James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Well, they're config files in the sense that they hold INN configuration
> information, but yes, they're also static.  I would tentatively argue
> that their "config" nature should be the primary factor in determining
> where to place them, but I can certainly see arguments for /usr/lib/inn
> or /usr/share/inn.

I put everything in /var/news/etc under CVS control, so things I'm not
going to change I prefer to have somewhere else.  I think most news admins
that use revision control for their configuration files would probably
agree there.

> (And if the choice were between /usr/lib/inn and /usr/share/inn, I'd
> prefer /usr/lib/inn--the files themselves are architecture-independent
> and non-executable, but they can be viewed more as a modules for their
> respective languages, which would place them into /usr/lib/inn.)

Bleh.  share vs. lib is such an annoying argument.  Where does the active
file go?  It's certainly architecture-independent.