Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) compliancy?

James Ralston qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 11 22:01:49 UTC 2000

On 11 Aug 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I put everything in /var/news/etc under CVS control, so things I'm
> not going to change I prefer to have somewhere else.  I think most
> news admins that use revision control for their configuration files
> would probably agree there.

Hmmm, probably, yes.

> Bleh.  share vs. lib is such an annoying argument.

Perhaps, but I think the distinction has merit.

> Where does the active file go?  It's certainly
> architecture-independent.

But it's also variable, so under the FHS, it would go under /var, as
would other directories that contain data that will change during the
operation of the system.  (E.g., /var/news/db, /var/news/tmp.)

(/var/news/run would more properly be /var/run/news, as the /var/run
directory is explicitly enumerated by the FHS.  So is /var/lock, for
that matter.)

James