Advice on my standalone setup please...

Aaron Jackson ajackson at tcba.com
Tue Aug 15 16:03:56 UTC 2000

I am trying to set up a news server for work and although I have a few
years of unix sys admin experience, I have no news admin experience, so
I'm a little lost right now.  I've read through the INN FAQ, the
O'Reilly usenet book and even searched through the inn-workers mailing
list archives, but I haven't found much concrete information on seting
up a stand alone server (other than how to set up a stand alone news
server is a FAQ).  I was wondering if anybody could comment on my
current set up.  Any help would be appreciated.  The system it is
running on is a standard RedHat 6.2 install with the inn-2.2.2-3 rpm.
The characteristics I'm trying for are:

* Local groups only
* Centrally hosted standalone news server
* Local articles never expire
* News access is via a web interface running on the news server

My set up is as follows:

innd.conf - I only changed three lines:
organization:		My News Server
server:			localhost
pathhost:		MyDomain.com

newsfeeds contains only one non comment:
ME\
        :*,!junk,!control*,!test*,!to::

nnrp.access contains two non comments:
*:: -no- : -no- :!*
localhost:Read Post:::*,!junk,!control*,!test*,!to

expire.ctl contains two non comments:
/remember/:14
local.*:A:never:never:never

Active list contains:
list active
215
control 0000000000 0000000001 y
control.cancel 0000000000 0000000001 y
junk 0000000000 0000000001 y
test 0000000000 0000000001 y
to 0000000000 0000000001 y
local.moderated 0000000002 0000000001 m
local.new 0000000017 0000000001 y
.

innfeed.conf  -- did not edit
incoming.conf -- did not edit

Also, are the cron jobs nntpsend, rnews and expire necessary for this
type of set up (I keep getting innd: SERVER bad_newsfeeds no feeding
sites errors in the news.err log file)?  Thanks for any input.

Aaron