split of /usr/local/news/db

Sven Paulus sven at tin.org
Tue Aug 22 02:31:30 UTC 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0008211903230.27543-100000 at pcmy.sei.cmu.edu> James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
|>>     /usr/local/news/db/groups/active
|>> I'm reluctant to abandon the "db" directory; IMO, it's a very useful
|>> place to organize subdirs for database[-like] files.  Personally, I
|>> wouldn't want to see the "articles" and "groups" subdirs at the
|>> /usr/local/news level.

I think the directories are nested too deep if you have to "work" with the
files. I use the active file a lot (for grepping for group, estimating
traffic etc.), so I'm happy to find it in /news/db/active: I don't have to
type that much. I'd prefer keeping the history in /news/db/ and move active.*
and newsgroups to /news/lists/.

Sven