cycbuff rawpartition, linux performance

Laszlo Vecsey master at internexus.net
Thu Feb 17 17:14:08 UTC 2000

I remember reading that on linux, doing a cycbuff with a raw partition is
not faster for some reason or another.. perhaps related to mmap or the
buffer cache in the kernel. Faster than creating a file on a regular
partition that is, and using that as the cycbuff.

So keeping the 2gig limits in mind, is it better/worse to use raw
partitions now or individual files sitting on the partition?

I'm using the 2.2.x production kernels, and guessing that things have
in 2.3.x experimental.. but not worth switching over to :)