INN and overview (recovering from crash)

Alexandre CHERIF alexandre.cherif at worldonline.fr
Fri Feb 18 16:07:08 UTC 2000

Re

thanks for the tool, i'll try it. I've the use makehistory/expireindex and it seems to have
resolved my trouble. so AFAIK to recover from bash oveview:

just make:

PREFIX/bin/makehistory -S -O -I PREFIX/tmp/list.temp -f temp.history
and
sort -t' ' +1 -2 PREFIX/tmp/list.temp | PREFIX/bin/expireindex -a -o -z

and then move the temp.history* to history*

ps: this method use a lot of ram and disk, for me with a 1.3Go of history, it has take
12 hours and the maximum of disk was 3 times the size of the old history.

Regards
----
Alexandre

On 18-Feb-00 Ilya Etingof wrote:

> It might help.
>
> BTW, I've got a tool that does basically the same as makehistory does when
> invoked with -S -I -O switches. My tool either retrieves articles
> by history token or scans articles in news spool then parses out
> and history records.
>
> The tool is rather raw but it worked for me so far.
>
> It's available at ftp://ftp.glas.net/users/ilya/tools/inn/ov/makeoverview.c
>
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Alexandre CHERIF wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> my overview is apparently broken, when trying to get the list of new message
>> for a group, random characters arrive. example, in the subject i got part of
>> the Path: of news newsgoup: line :(
>>
>> i've done some research to know how to get a fixed overview and after some hours
>> i found this:
>>

>> PREFIX/bin/makehistory -S -O -I PREFIX/tmp/list.temp -f temp.history
>> and
>> sort -t' ' +1 -2 PREFIX/tmp/temp.history | PREFIX/bin/expireindex -a -o -z
>>
>> does anyone kown if this might work to solve my problem ? or have a better solution ?
>> and since the makehistory create a new history file (temp.history) must i move it over the old
>> history file ???
>>
>> i'm using cnfs and my overview is the old one (directories)
>>

>> Regards
>> ----
>> Alexandre

|"That vulnerability is completely theoretical." - Microsoft |
| The box said "Requires Windows NT 4.0 or better            |
|                               ... so I got Solaris"        |
|    Alexandre CHERIF <alexandre.cherif at worldonline.fr>      |