Examples on how others use expire/expirerm/fastrm ?

John Kozubik john_kozubik at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 29 00:44:31 UTC 2000

Everything is going well with my innd using storageapi (cycbuffs.conf and
storage.conf), except that I notice the following files:

/usr/local/news/db/history   and
/usr/local/news/db/history.pag

are getting quite large.

My reading suggest that a combination of the three commands - expire,
expirerm, and fastrm will solve this problem.  I am also led to believe that
after concocting this combination, I can simply set it to run as a cron job
and not worry about it again.  The problem is, I do not know what this
pipelined triple command would be, and I am worried about executing it
incorrectly and messing things up.

So, if anyone has a good example of their cleanup procedure that they put
into cron, I would appreciate it.

Also, I notice that /var/log/news/news is getting quite large, and
/var/spool/news/uniover/0/overview as well.

Can I assume that 'overview' will get cleaned out with the expire process
that I put into cron?

And with /var/log/news/news ... since this is just a log file, can I just
shut down the news server, clean it all out, and then restart the news
server?  Or is it more complicated than that?

thanks,

john