Draft specification for future X-Trace header

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Thu Jul 6 17:10:41 UTC 2000

> > POST newsfeeds are evil.
>
> But in the real world you can't avoid them. There is no other way for

Before this discussion turns into flame, can Marco can clarify
why the statement was "POST newsfeeds are evil"

NNTP is a protocol which moves messages around,
and as a tool, it is not evil of itself.

More accurately:
    POSTing lots of messages is less efficient than IHAVE/CHECK.

And
    POSTing messages to a server which reassigns message IDs often
    leads to inadvertant reposting and duplication.

As Olaf points out, the benefit of running INN or other server
locally, (and posting to it) is significant.

What is the right way to get these posts propagated?  I don't think
many ISPs are willing to to set up a newsfeed for every customer
this way. POST seems to be the only option.

All that this needs to work is that the message-ID is not changed.

That doesn't seem difficult to me.  I would say that a server that
rewrites message-IDs on a POST is the problem, not the use of POST
to propagate messages.

Did I miss any evils?