Draft specification for future X-Trace header

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Fri Jul 7 13:32:33 UTC 2000

> > It has been my understanding that it is within the rights of the
> > server receiving the POST to rewrite not only the Message-ID, but
> > also the "Path:", "X-Trace:" and "Date:" fields in the header.
>
> It is not, and for good reasons neither INN nor C News/nntpd do it by
> default.
>
> Olaf

There are understandable reasons to rewrite Path:, and perhaps
X-Trace (although adding a new X-Trace makes sense to me.)

What case can be made for rewriting Date and Message-ID?
If they are missing, they can be added.  If the Date or
Message-ID are invalid, the post can be rejected.

What do the working USEFOR, et al drafts say?

BTW, getting a dialup fixed IP from some U.S. ISPs is possible
but generally costs extra.  Nearly all dialup IPs are dynamic
here too.