Draft specification for future X-Trace header

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Fri Jul 7 21:57:04 UTC 2000

> The main reason I want to see this is because I want to be able to
> squash any supplied Date: header of submitted articles and have nnrpd
> generate the Date: header itself.  I run NTP on my news servers, so I
> trust any Date: headers they generate to be fairly accurate.  In
> contrast, most of our newsreader clients are Windows boxes, and their
> clocks are all over the place, often off by days, weeks, or even
> months.

You mentioned why you wanted to rewrite Path:.  (hop-count
propagation rules, Preventing path pre-loading is also a reason
to do it which you didn't mention.)

You mentioned why incoming Date headers are wildly inaccurate,
but not why this causes you a problem.  Can you explain?
What do you do if someone is accessing the server remotely
from a different timezone, for example?

Do you also rewrite message-ID?