Draft specification for future X-Trace header

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 10 11:27:22 UTC 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:

> You mentioned why incoming Date headers are wildly inaccurate,
> but not why this causes you a problem.  Can you explain?
> What do you do if someone is accessing the server remotely
> from a different timezone, for example?

  I think he had in mind something a bit more extreme for "wildly
inaccurate," like people keeping their system in 1995 to use software
who's license has expired, people who rolled to from 1999 to 1900, people
who type in the date on install and type 1999, bozos who liked 2001 so
much that they set their computers to that year, etc.

  There's a world of imcompetence and stupidity out there, I prefer to
just drop those posts, and the posts which are within the fuzz factor will
have the real date in the X-Trace header.

> Do you also rewrite message-ID?

  Now that *is* evil. That will result in eternal messages spewing through
the net, unless everyone leaves the Date alone and they die of old age.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc