Theory questions about ovdb

Heath Kehoe heath.kehoe at intermec.com
Mon Jul 10 19:21:12 UTC 2000

>[~/spool]$ du -s articles/
>3685284 articles
>
>[~/spool]$ du -s overview/
>1103196 overview
>
>[~]$ wc -l db/history
>1284622 db/history

What do you get for:
  grep '@$' db/history |wc -l

This will be a count of articles in your spool, not counting
crossposts.  The grep excludes the history lines that don't
have a token.  Assuming you have the same ratio of crossposts
as my server, you'll probably have about 1095000 articles.
The ovdb docs recommend at least 1.1KB per article; so your
overview disk space usage is within the norm.

>If you need any additional information, just let me know.
>
>Examples for current discrepancies (?):
>
>97615 articles shown in group overview index for control.cancel
>in newsreader (tin). After entering the group: 71274.
>
>65111 articles shown in group overview index for control.cancel
>in newsreader (tin). After entering the group: 34683.

Your newsreader is probably calculating the number of articles
by taking the difference between the high-mark and low-mark
and then subtracting the number of "read" articles (from your
.newsrc).  This will be higher than the actual number of articles
if any of them were canceled or expired.

To find out the actual article count, do a telnet to your reader
port and type in: group <groupname>   e.g.:

# telnet localhost nntp
Trying...
Connected to localhost.avalon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 avalon.net InterNetNews server INN 2.3.0 (20000621 CVS prerelease) ready
mode reader
200 avalon.net InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.0 (20000621 CVS prerelease) ready (posting ok).
group news.lists.filters
211 18694 4997203 5016611 news.lists.filters
quit
205 .

In this case, there are 18694 articles, but slrn says there are 19408.
(5016611-4997203).

So, check your groups using the manual nntp connection, and also
make sure your newsreader isn't using a kill file which will further
alter the counts.

-heath