Error in inn-BETA-2000705 which was NOT seen in inn-BETA-20000703

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 12 06:16:05 UTC 2000

Brian Kantor <brian at UCSD.Edu> writes:

>>> /usr/lib/libresolv.a(res_send.o)(.text+0x33): undefined reference to
>> `inet_nto

> That sure looks like BSD/OS 4.1 - they moved some defines and such
> around in some of the include files, and now you have to include
> arpa/inet.h in a whole lot of places you didn't need it before.  Grrr.

> 	#define inet_ntoa               __inet_ntoa

> is the critical line in that include file.

> I'm not sure WHY they did this.  Maybe it's a POSIXism?

Except that looking at the linker error messages, the reference to
inet_ntoa was in libresolv.  So there isn't anything that INN can do at
the level of including header files; libresolv apparently expects
something on the system to be providing an inet_ntoa library function.

(Checking, all INN source files that call inet_ntoa appear to already
include <arpa/inet.h>.)