Whole buncha d-u-m-b questions

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 17 05:50:32 UTC 2000

Anonymous Coward <newsb'stard at FREE-N0RP.NetScum.dK> writes:

> Sorry for the dopey question, but, really?  I haven't looked into this
> (although I know I need to), but I thought there was a way to obtain the
> message ID from the MD5 hash, otherwise something wouldn't work.

Nope.  MD5 is an irreversible hash that loses information.

> So if I wanted to update Brad Knowles' recent skr1pT to be able to work
> with the newest INN k0deZ and traditional spool, I'd have to add the
> additional steps I did above, leaving the script to do the work of
> opening the file, rather than innxmit.  Sounds like half a dozen of one,
> or a half dozen of the other.

I'd like to see innxmit support it.  In the TODO file:

* innxmit currently can only handle storage API tokens; it should also be
  able to handle files and get the message ID from them so that you can
  use it to feed articles you got from some arbitrary source, not
  necessarily INN.  Ideally, it should also take message ID hashes (and
  use the history file to get the storage API token so that it can open
  the article and get the real message ID).