mail2news for only 1 newsgroup

Scott Russell scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com
Mon Jul 17 22:26:20 UTC 2000

Peter -

I found the same problem and ended up ditching the script INN provides and
using the newsgate package, but not without problems as well. Eventually I
used mailpost from the INN contrib to do mail -> news and the news2mail C
program from newsgate to do the news -> mail gateway.

The mailpost script from INN will have to hacked a bit since the -r and -f
command line options fail to work and you need something unique in your
creating a mail loop.

The news2mail C program from the newsgate package works fine. Here's my
newsfeeds for the two lists I gated. (Nothing else is needed)

linux.ibm.com/ltcgate:\
        !*,mailinglists.internal.ltc-test:Tp:\
        /usr/bin/news2mail ltc-test ltc-test ltc-test-request\
        linux.ibm.com

linux.ibm.com/ltcgate:\
        !*,mailinglists.internal.ibm-linux-tech:Tp:\
        /usr/bin/news2mail ibm-linux-tech ibm-linux-tech\
        ibm-linux-tech-request linux.ibm.com

It was 4 days of pain to learn INN and setup a bidirectional gate for
these two groups but it appears to be working as of 2pm today. I am
however expecting to have to tweak stuff more.

BTW, who maintains the newsgate package hosted at isc.org??? It needs some
seirous help and all though I don't have the time to maintian it I would
like to contribute to it.

--
Regards,
 Scott Russell (scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com)