Modifying the body of an article

Bartosz Maruszewski bart at accept.id.pl
Wed Jul 19 12:19:24 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 07:50:36AM -0500, Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:

> It has become common practice for users to run "personal" usenet
> servers.  They obtain messages from a NEWS server by "pulling" (also

It WILL NOT be a usenet server.

> What greg was pointing out, is that you MUST NOT modify a
> a valid Usenet article, no matter whether it was POSTED or
> obtained from a peer server.  And especially DO NOT modify
> the message-ID.

Yes. Right. I agree. But I repeat: It will NOT be a usenet server. It
will not be connected to ANY other newsserver.

> You seem determined to do this anyway.  Perhaps we can
> convince you to either:
>     - ensure that no one can get the modified articles via NNTP or
>       mail.  (Such as showing them on a WWW interface only.)

It will be only in local groups, there will be NO other groups and
there will be an authorization system to allow any action on the
server.

> > And the ability to modify bodies is a
> > MUST !
>
> No it is not a "MUST".

For the project I am running - it is.

> Do not modify the article.  (Did we say this enough?)

No. :)