Seeing: Server throttled no matching entry in storage.conf storing article -- throttling

Joe St Sauver JOE at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Jun 11 16:28:32 UTC 2000

>Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 17:56:02 -0400 (EDT)
>From: James Ralston <qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu>
>Subject: Re: Seeing: Server throttled no matching entry in storage.conf storing
> article -- throttling
>To: inn-workers at isc.org
>
>On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Joe St Sauver wrote:
>
>> > The size of stored article will be
>> > 999995+strlen("my_server!")=1000005.  This does NOT match any of
>> > entries in your storage.conf, and your problem happens.
>>
>> Okay, I've increased the upper bound on the final storage category
>> to accomodate this possibility...
>
>Just out of curiosity, would not the easiest solution be to just
>remove the upper bound from each storage.conf entry where the upper
>bound is essentially the same as INN's maxartsize inn.conf variable?

Just to followup, I tried this suggestion, so that my storage.conf now
looks like:

method tradspool {
        newsgroups: uo.*
        class: 1
        size: 0,1000000
        expires: 120d
}

method cnfs {
        newsgroups: *,@*binaries*,@*pictures*,@*sex*,@*multime*,@*job*
        class: 2
        size: 0,40000
}

method cnfs {
        newsgroups: *
        class: 3
        size: 0
}

and I'm STILL seeing the odd
"Server throttled no matching entry in storage.conf storing article --
throttling" occur at seemingly random times from the 20000607 prerelease snap.

I'm puzzled about about how this might be occuring since I'm matching all
newsgroups for the final storage category, and have removed the max size
specification per James' logical suggestion.

I think that there may be something more subtle going on than just the
possibility of an off-by-the-amount-of-a-bang-plus-path-entry
size-related issue (and yes, I checked to make sure that there wasn't
some second storage.conf file floating around which might be getting used
instead of this one).

One suggestion for a change to the INN error message would be to say WHAT
doesn't match, e.g.,

"<xyz.123 at foo.bar> in xyz.foo size 501234 - bad article size for storage.conf"

Regards,

Joe