Can't expire, INN 2.3, AIX 4.3.3, largefiles

Nicholas Geovanis nickgeo at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Wed Jun 14 16:38:36 UTC 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>
> > Suggestion:
> > You didn't mention which compiler you're using. If you're using IBM's you
> > may need to make sure that the "-bmaxdata" compiler option is turned on.
> > There may be another compiler flag or two to check; see Chapter 8, "Large
> > Program Support" in the "General Programming Concepts" manual. Also check
> > that the AIX user limits on data segment size are high enough (or
> > unrestricted) in /etc/security/user.
>
>   I hope you're not saying that using 9GB of virtual memory is intended
> behaviour! That's more than the history, index, and copies thereof!

Well your error message said that it was failing a malloc of about 75MB.
Without -bmaxdata, your total data segment size is 256MB (I think, plus
there are segments for code and stack), so it seems conceivable that you
could exhaust that much with expire. If you use -bmaxdata when building
expire, the compiler generates the code to handle a true data area
spanning multiple 256MB segments, trading-off a little speed for lots more
memory.

But do check the user limits and total paging space available too. Again,
I don't know what gcc or its library do on AIX/Power. If I get a chance
later today I'll have a look on our SP. My two news servers run on HPUX
rather than AIX.

V n-geovanis at nwu.edu         - "Davis's Law" (Tom Davis, SGI)