mail-news bidirectional gateway

ADAM Sulmicki adam at cfar.umd.edu
Sat Jun 24 01:18:09 UTC 2000

> > 	I'm trying to setup bidirectional gateway between a mailing list
> > 	(majordomo) and a news group (inn). I have setup both of them on
> > 	my server. I use 'mailpost' and 'news2mail' programs which come
> > 	with inn to implement the bi-dir gateway.

> > Now, the news2mail. I have something like this in 'newsfeeds' file:
>
> > 	n2m!:!*:Tc,Ac,Wn*:/usr/local/inn/bin/news2mail
> > 	test-list-n2-gw at local-news.my.domain:eax.test:Tm:n2m!
> > 	umlug-list-n2-gw at local-news.my.domain:um.linux:Tm:n2m!
>
> > Where 'my.domain' is my actual domain. In 'mail2news.cf' file I have:
>
> > 	umlug at news.my.domain    um-linux at some.other.domain
> > 	test at news.my.domain      test at my.domain
>
> > where again 'my.domain' is my actual domain.
>
> > Now there are two problems:
> > 	1) when I post a message to newsgroup, say 'eax.test'
> > 	it gets emailed to _both_ lists 'umlug' and 'test'.
> > 	The email should be forwarded to 'test' list __only__,
> > 	I have no idea why it spills over the other list.
>
> I have no idea why this is happening, I'm afraid.  :/  Did you ever manage
> to solve this problem?

Not really. It was hard to debug this w/out spamming lists and the
news2mail gateway was not that important. So I just run unidirectional
only gateway mail2news.

> > 	2) since there's mail2news, once the email is sent to this list it
> > 	is forwarded back to news server for posting.  According to manual
> > 	the 'mailpost' should silently drop such dupplicate
> > 	emails. However, it does not instead I get error emails like the
> > 	one below:
>
> > Subject: mailpost failure (eax.test): inews failed: Can't send article
> > to the server:    441 Can't set system "X-Trace" header (Article not posted.)
>
> news2mail wasn't stripping X-Trace (although it was stripping other
> similar trace headers).  Just now fixed in BETA and CURRENT.

Cool. Any ETA on stable release? (though I figure I could just grab
mail2news perl script only and apply it to my current setup)

--
Adam
http://www.eax.com	The Supreme Headquarters of the 32 bit registers