Using CVSup

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 27 03:26:06 UTC 2000

Just Another Victim of the Danish Usenet Afrydder-Mafia
<barry at marley.mendelu.cz> writes:

> On 25 Jun 19100, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> There have been a few questions in the past about how to use CVSup to
>> obtain the latest version of the INN sources (or to get the entire CVS

> Is it also possible to browse the entire source tree for any of the
> present branches, for, say someone who just wants to check the
> modification time of a certain file (say, f'rinstance, nnrpd/post.c) but
> who doesn't want to download either a whole tarball (slow link, not
> enough disk space) or use cvsup (not enough disk space to hold both a
> locally-hacked copy and the up-to-date source where cvsup overwrites
> local hacks)?

> This would be like, um, just as an example, some of the kernel source at
> ftp://ftp.dk.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/i386/pci/

> Just wondering.  It's ... um ... for a friend...

Unfortunately, it would be a bit tricky to do that at isc.org due to the
way the security is set up (and I'm not sure of disk space and the like).
CVS also isn't very good at preserving modification times, so I'm not sure
if something done on top of CVSup would work well.  What one really wants
for this is cvsweb, but that would be a big project in its own right.