Estimating overview size

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at atgi.net
Fri Mar 3 20:34:15 UTC 2000

At 08:19 PM 03/03/2000 +0000, Chris Martin wrote:
>In our development system 48% of a partition of 1164532 1k-blocks
>contains overview data for 1387329 articles.
>
>The spool size is 3774828 blocks (cycbuffs) plus 55276 (tradspool) --
>a total of 3830104 1k-blocks.
>
>Assuming that the ratio between spool size and overview space used
>holds, this means that the ratio of overview space used to spool size
>is 1:7 -- to allow space for expireover to work, allow 50% more
>overview space giving a ratio of 2:9.
>
>With a planned spool size (for our new server) of 33 Gb this would
>require just over 7 Gb for overview data.
>
>Would any of you very experienced news admins care to comment on this
>estimate -- or the way it has been reached?

here's my current reader box's salient info:

alt.binaries*   rawCNFS                 26G     about 7-10hrs retention
alt.* + foreign heirarchies rawCNFS     26G     about 25 days retention
* (all else) rawCNFS, mirrored  disks   26G     about 45 days retention
local and regional in tradspool  2G     variable retention
rawdisk buffindexed overview            10G     currently at 62% utilization

Paul Theodoropoulos                        Advanced TelCom Group Inc.
Senior Unix Systems Administrator          Internet Services Division
paul at atgi.net                              Santa Rosa, California, US
Work: http://www.atgi.net             Play: http://www.anastrophe.com
"Reliability means never having to say you're sorry." -D.J. Bernstein