Estimating overview size

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 9 22:34:33 UTC 2000

On 3 Mar 2000, Chris Martin wrote:

> In our development system 48% of a partition of 1164532 1k-blocks
> contains overview data for 1387329 articles.
>
> The spool size is 3774828 blocks (cycbuffs) plus 55276 (tradspool) --
> a total of 3830104 1k-blocks.
>
> Assuming that the ratio between spool size and overview space used
> holds, this means that the ratio of overview space used to spool size
> is 1:7 -- to allow space for expireover to work, allow 50% more
> overview space giving a ratio of 2:9.

I confess I usually lump history and overview in one f/s and give it
around 20% of the spool size to avoid problems. One thing you have to
watch is inodes, in 2.3 the tradindex takes at least 1 inode per group,
while bufindex seems to take less. Your 2:9 sounds familiar, I like it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc