Password protected

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 29 22:51:22 UTC 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, [iso-8859-1] Andrés wrote:

> Is it possible to protect a news group (not an entire server) using a
> password?
> If it's possible, how do I configure it?

Can you have multiple stanzas in readers.conf, such that you don't get
prompted for a password in general, but if you offer one you would get
reauthorized? I looked at that at one time and couldn't follow the code,
at least in the time I had.

So in general you would have *,!secret.*
but if you offered an auth you would get *

I suggested that readers.conf was a candate for somewhat more detailed
docs, Russ noted it, but I know it's on someone's list. This is a common
this to want to do, another is to offer various groups if one password or
another is used. The trick is to have a non-password default.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc