Password protected

Aidan Cully aidan at panix.com
Thu Mar 30 02:01:54 UTC 2000

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 05:51:22PM, Bill Davidsen said:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, [iso-8859-1] Andr?s wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to protect a news group (not an entire server) using a
> > password?
> > If it's possible, how do I configure it?
>
> Can you have multiple stanzas in readers.conf, such that you don't get
> prompted for a password in general, but if you offer one you would get
> reauthorized? I looked at that at one time and couldn't follow the code,
> at least in the time I had.
>
> So in general you would have *,!secret.*
> but if you offered an auth you would get *

I think this works.  Basically, you'd have something like:

auth "foo" {
	hosts: "*.my.net"
	default: "<unknown>"
}

auth "outside" {
	hosts: "*"
	auth: "ckpasswd"
}

access "no-one" {
	newsgroups: "*,!secret.*"
	users: "<unknown>"
}

access "authed" {
	newsgroups: "*"
	users: "*,!<unkwown>"
}

It's been so long since I've worked with this, I'm not sure I got this
right...

--aidan
--
Aidan Cully       "She's a diamond that wants to stay coal..."
Not Panix Staff        -- Tom Waits
aidan at panix.com