tradspool vs CNFS

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 29 23:14:48 UTC 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Dave Zavatson wrote:

I will be running INN 2.2.2, but have one question about CNFS first. I
> have need to purge all particular groups which are stored in one metabuff
> once per quarter.  Is this possible?  Can I just use dd to clear it out.
> Or do I have to rebuild the history db also?  In tradspool I was able to
> accomplish this with different expire times. I am using files instead of
> raw partitions, if that matters.
>
> I'd be happy to use CNFS for all groups except this small subset which
> needs to be expired once per quarter.  Ideally I'd continue using
> tradspool for this.  Will mixing tradspool and CNFS using the storage API
> be possible in INN 2.3?

  Student posts? I any case, if the number is relatively small you can
just generate local cancels for them. Low tech, but not all that
inefficient.

> Also, am I better off striping four disks together, then building large
> cycbuffs across the stripe, or placing the cycbuffs directly on each disk
> and allowing INN to spread the load?

I usually put one CNFS directory per drive, but I've seen little
difference doing it the other way. Which is why I don't bother striping
anymore.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc