all articles expire and no space left!

Edwin edwin.yau at rdel.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 08:35:33 UTC 2000

Hi,

I've successfully managed to upgrade from INN2.2 to 2.2.2 on a Solaris
2.6 O/S a couple of days ago.  Now I've come across two problems which
I'm sure are unrelated.

1)  Yesterday something strange happened.  During the day all articles
in all newsgroups self-expired. (i.e. everything vanished to be replaced
with a similar message of:

Error!

newsgroup server responded: Bad article number

Perhaps the article has expired

<SKfx4.18877$Tn5.464528 at sol.newscene.com> (6242)

Click here to remove all expired articles

I'm using CNFS but I'd expect the oldest articles to expire
automatically to allow newest articles in, not for all articles to
vanish completely.

2)  My daily news server report says the following:

Expire messages:
expire begin Fri Mar 31 03:01:30 BST 2000: (-v1 -c -e
-z/var/news/log/expire.rm
-u/var/news/log/expire.index.rm -Z/var/news/log/expire.lowmark)
    Can't write new history, No space left on device
    Can't close /var/news/db/history.n, No space left on device
    Can't close -Z file, No space left on device
    Expire errors: history files not updated.
    Article lines processed   953735
    Articles retained         953733
    Entries expired                0
    Articles dropped               0
    Overview index dropped         0
    Old entries dropped        38647
    Old entries retained       81226
expire end Fri Mar 31 03:06:29 BST 2000
        all done Fri Mar 31 03:06:29 BST 2000
lowmarkrenumber begin Fri Mar 31 03:06:29 BST 2000:
(/var/news/log/expire.lowmark)
lowmarkrenumber end Fri Mar 31 03:06:30 BST 2000
        expireindex start Fri Mar 31 03:06:30 BST 2000
        expireindex end Fri Mar 31 03:06:30 BST 2000

I have 6 Gb partition set up where all of news goes into (/var/news)
including INN and the buffers etc.  I've set up 5 Gb of buffers (3 * 1.5
Gb and 1 * 0.5 Gb give 5 Gb in total).  /var/news/spool takes up 676
MB.  I am left with approx 100k of free space.  I thought the disk space
shouldn't run out but I think the spool directories are the cause of the
problem?  The uniover (645 Mb)and overview (30 Mb) seem to be the main
culprits.  What's the best thing to do?  Do I need to reduce the buffer
size?

Help is greatly appreciated.

--

Rgds,