INN config file parsing infrastructure

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu May 4 23:50:27 UTC 2000

Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

> I wait for clarification on this, but I would expect
>   parameter:  "1st token
>  2nd token"
> ^ significant space here

> would do what you want.

I don't want it to.  I could be persuaded otherwise, but I think unescaped
newlines in quoted strings should be a syntax error.  Otherwise, runaway
unclosed quotes start generating odd and far-removed syntax errors.

> Then there should be no first whitespace. Trailing blanks are the curse
> of parsers, inn.conf has (had?) a problem with that, and complained if
> there was space after a parameter with no value.

> We should clarify this, preferably by ignoring unescaped and unquoted
> trailing whitespace.

Whitespace is insignificant except as a token separator unless it's inside
a quoted string.