INN config file parsing infrastructure

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat May 6 09:02:22 UTC 2000

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> If I understand correctly the spec would say:
>       1)  (correct)         parameter:  token
>       2)  (correct)         parameter: "token1 token2"
>       3)(incorrect)         parameter:  token1 token2
>       4)  (correct)         parameter: "token1 \
>                                         token2"
>       5)(incorrect)         parameter: "token1
>                                         token2"

Right.

> Further, in #4 the \<newline> is retained in the parsed result,

I've been convinced this is a bad idea.  The newline will disappear,
although the whitespace will be retained.

> Thus there is no provision for the sort of thing we can currently do in
> newsfeeds (eg
>                   parameter:  pattern,pattern,pattern,\
>                               pattern,pattern,pattern
>           )

Actually, all whitespace inside wildmat patterns is squished away in the
existing parsing code for readers.conf and incoming.conf, and I'll
maintain those semantics.  When specified in a configuration file as a
pattern for matching newsgroups,

    parameter: "foo.*, bar.*"

should be entirely equivalent to:

    parameter: foo.*,bar.*

since spaces aren't allowed in newsgroup names.

> From a practical point of view it seems that some places in INN already
> have the convention that \<newline> is elided, no quotes needed.  (eg
> newsfeeds).

Good point.