INN config file parsing infrastructure

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Fri May 5 16:19:23 UTC 2000

Hi Russ

Piecing together several of your comments on the whitespace & \<newline>
issue, it seems to me that there is a problem ... but I could just still
be confused ....

If I understand correctly the spec would say:
      1)  (correct)         parameter:  token
      2)  (correct)         parameter: "token1 token2"
      3)(incorrect)         parameter:  token1 token2
      4)  (correct)         parameter: "token1 \
                                        token2"
      5)(incorrect)         parameter: "token1
                                        token2"

Further, in #4 the \<newline> is retained in the parsed result,
rather than being elided.  (eg #4 produces the string
                                      "token1 \n            token2"
                               or maybe
                                      "token"\ntoken2"
                               rather than
                                      "token1 token2"
                           )

Thus there is no provision for the sort of thing we can currently do in
newsfeeds (eg
                  parameter:  pattern,pattern,pattern,\
                              pattern,pattern,pattern
          )
And there is no provision for line breaking a "string" in the config file
without having that line break be embedded in the value that is extracted.

If this is correct then I see two problems ... one practical (and maybe trivial)
and one more principle based.