INN config file parsing infrastructure

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat May 6 08:59:23 UTC 2000

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:
> Russ wrote:

>> Syntax error.  Actually, if you write:

>>    parameter1:
>>    parameter2:

>> you'll actually set parameter1 to the value "parameter2:", so inncheck
>> should check for this.  (Or we could require that the value start on
>> the same line as the parameter, but I'm not sure that's necessary.)

> I find this to be a pretty scary observation ...  I think it will lead
> to a *lot* of administrator errors.

Okay, maybe it's necessary; thinking about it some more, I agree with you.
It shouldn't cause any problems to require that the value start on the
same line as the parameter tag.  I don't believe complete independence of
the syntax from newlines is a good idea because people editing the files
do think in terms of newlines, as much as I like whitespace-independent
syntaxes in general.  I do want a way of putting two parameters on the
same line, though, although I suppose it's less important than a lot of
the other parser features.