INN config file parsing infrastructure

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Fri May 5 16:19:08 UTC 2000

Hi

Russ wrote:

>Syntax error.  Actually, if you write:
>
>    parameter1:
>    parameter2:
>
>you'll actually set parameter1 to the value "parameter2:", so inncheck
>should check for this.  (Or we could require that the value start on the
>same line as the parameter, but I'm not sure that's necessary.)

I find this to be a pretty scary observation ...
I think it will lead to a *lot* of administrator errors.

If you truely want to ignore newlines in parsing the config files
then I think you have to have every statement terminated by some token
say ';'

If you don't want to require obvious statement terminators such as ';'
then I think you have to treat newlines as significant characters
terminating statements, unless somehow escaped.

IMO trying mixing these two approaches will lead to unending headaches.

Regards,
Todd Olson
Cornell University