INN config file parsing infrastructure

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat May 6 09:04:28 UTC 2000

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> How do line continuations, and line length limit interact???

> Is it
>     a) from \n to \n in the config file must be less than 8k char
>        but the value built via continuations can has no length limit
>   or
>     b) the value built via continuations must be less that 8k char
> ????

In the new parser, line length will only be limited by physical memory.
The tokenizer will continue expanding the buffer as necessary to read a
single token.  (So if you have a single huge string, you could potentially
run the machine out of memory, but I think that's reasonable.  Runaway
strings won't do it, because unescaped newlines aren't valid within quoted
strings and no other tokens can extend through whitespace.  I guess
feeding INN a config file containing no whitespace could result in running
out of memory, but that too seems like a rare case and a reasonable
consequence.)