mailpost failure...

Dimitris Bibikas jmb at ccf.auth.gr
Tue May 9 08:57:39 UTC 2000

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Dimitris Bibikas <jmb at ccf.auth.gr> writes:
>
> > I 'm trying to use the mailpost program
> > for mail2news gateway.
>
> > But when I send an email
> > I get the following error msg:
>
> > inews failed: sh: /news/bin/inews: cannot execute
>
> > The aliases set-up is correct
> > and there is the right link in the
> > /usr/adm/sm.bin directory for mailpost...
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> inews is normally executable only by group news.  If you need other
> accounts to be able to run inews, you'll need to make it owned by news,
> group news, and mode 2711 (setgid news).  Configuring INN using the flag
> --enable-setgid-inews will do this for you.
>
> Unfortunately sendmail doesn't make it easy to run commands for incoming
> mail as another user.  Using qmail, Postfix, or one of the other MTAs, I'd
> recommend instead making sure that mail2news runs as news so that you
> don't have to change any file permissions.

Thanks for the tip Russ...

But there still seems to be a problem. The error msg this time is:
inews failed: Can't get list of newsgroups, Permission denied. (Article
not posted.)

I don't think that my INN is misconfigured. It must be again an
inn-sendmail-permission
problem...

I tried to put a link to inews in  /usr/adm/sm.bin directory but I
had no luck...

I hope that I won't have to change my MTA just to get the gateway
right...

Thanks again