ovdb_recover freezeup...

Jaye Mathisen mrcpu at internetcds.com
Fri May 19 18:39:13 UTC 2000

FreebSd 4.0, 5/15 beta, db3.0.55.

I came in today, and INN was frozen up.  netstat showed the recv socket
buffer for each nntp socket was full, but INN was sitting there in the S
state, and not reading any of the data.

So I monkeyed with it a bit, and finally had to kill innd.  Rebooted the
box, restarted inn with rc.news start, and it gets to ovdb_recover, and
just sits there.

No disk IO, no CPU usage, nothing.

Nothing I do will get it started.  I can wipe the overview db, and restart
collecting it, which isn't that big a deal, but the freezeup seems odd.

The only modification I have made to INN from the 5/15 release was to bump
the SO_RCVBUF to 131072 from 24k as a test.  But since I'm not even
getting to inn starting in rc.news, I can't imagine it's an issue...

I couldn't get buffindexed to work, and traditional ain't gonna cut it...

I may try running the db-3.0.55 test suite, but I guess it takes a couple
days according to something I read.