bad_history

John Newman jnn at jump.net
Tue Nov 7 20:35:46 UTC 2000

> What OS?  (see comment at top)

64-bit Solaris 2.8.  Inn 2.3.0, CNFS, tradindexed.  My original
problem, in case you didn't catch it, was log entries like this:

Nov  7 13:29:11 news2 nnrpd[29662]: [ID 178959 news.error] blah.customer.com bad_history at 0 for  in 5BE1C672B7BDF2D4964F1AC2736D25F8

Now I've realized that reading articles with the article command using
article numbers works fine... but using message-id's either returns
a "430 Article Not found", segfaults nnrpd or returns the same
article over and over, because dbzfetch in HISgetent is returning 0
for the offset.

> I've seen that apparently NetBSD is b0rken with grephistory with
> all k0dez I try on it, while the same k0dez work fine on other
> systems.
>
> If you do a `grephistory -l '<msg-id-of-your-choice>' ' for some
> random messages, do you always get the same result?  And is that
> result the same message that's the first entry in the history
> file?

Yes this is exactly what's happening.  Always returns the first entry from
the history file.

--
John